Job Title: Evening & Night Time Economy Manager
Salary: Approximately £35,000 per annum, dependant on skills and experience, on a 3-year contract
Employed by: Aberdeen Inspired
Responsible to: Chief Executive of Aberdeen Inspired
Hours: Working Hours will be 35 hours per week, split 5 out of 7 days. Due to the nature of the post holder’s responsibilities, weekend and evening working will regularly be expected.
The role involves working in the office of Aberdeen Inspired and liaising with the businesses and stakeholders from the evening and night time economies across the City Centre.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and self-motivated individual to join a successful Business Improvement District (BID) representing around 700 businesses, and work in partnership with the Council and other stakeholders to continue to develop our ‘Purple Flag’ accredited City Centre.
You will be the ‘champion’ for the businesses from the evening and night time economies, liaising closely with them and their representative bodies, while understanding their business needs and aspirations at both strategic and operational levels.
- Role Purpose
- Promote the value of Aberdeen City Centre’s cultural venues, clubs, cafés hotels and other businesses to support the development of a more diverse range of evening and late night cultural activities.
- Lead on Aberdeen City Centre’s nationally acclaimed ‘Purple Flag’ agenda, working with partners and stakeholders from across the business sectors to further the ethos of a safe and vibrant City Centre.
- Work with and support the evening and night time economies, including the creative, transport and hospitality sectors, and act as a conduit between the ‘Unight’ body, representing City Centre pubs and clubs, and the BID.
- Build on opportunities around night time transport, such as buses and taxis, to diversify and grow Aberdeen’s evening and night time economies.
- Balance the need to grow and diversify the evening and night time economies with those of residents and workers.
- Ensure that Aberdeen’s evening and night time economies are safe, prosperous and vibrant, attracting people to the City from around the globe to live, work, study and invest here.
- Main Duties and Responsibility
- Manage a range of projects and events within the City Centre, assisting with the implementation of any projects outlined within the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan that complement the evening and night time economies.
- Lead on Aberdeen City Centre’s ‘Purple Flag’ agenda, working with partners and stakeholders across the business sectors and submit annual accreditation reports to maintain the City’s coveted status.
- Develop and implement the principles of an ‘Alive After 5’ agenda within the City Centre with the aim of increasing business footfall, dwell time and spend across both day time and evening economies.
- Ensure that the evening and night time economies are developed in a way that is considerate of people’s need for rest and public safety, undertaking risk assessments etc as required.
- Work with departments within Aberdeen City Council, government, police and other statutory bodies to explore an approach to licensing that considers cultural value, economic impact and wellbeing
- While representing Aberdeen Inspired, as required Chair, attend or give presentations at relevant meetings.
- Working with Aberdeen City Council and other statutory bodies, recommend positive changes to improve the management of the licensed trade engaged in the evening and night time economies.
- Report and present as required to the Aberdeen Inspired Board of Directors, relevant Committees of Aberdeen City Council and other key partner agencies.
- Realise the benefits of Aberdeen’s diversity by promoting and enabling equality of opportunities and promoting the diverse needs and aspirations of the city’s communities.
- Realise the benefits of a flexible approach to work in undertaking the duties and responsibilities of this role, and participate in multi-disciplinary, cross-department and cross-organisational groups and project teams.
- The above does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities and tasks but indicates the main responsibilities of the role. The Company reserves the right to require employees to perform other duties from time to time.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to Quality, Health, Safety and the Environment. The employee is responsible for both their own safety and for the safety of others
- Skills and Experience
- An ability to innovate, create and self-motivate, while managing a diverse workload and meeting relevant deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience of the different business sectors in the City Centre, particularly evening and night time economies.
- Experience of developing business networks and contacts.
- Evidence of working with, and achieving service change, in the business community and/or public agencies.
- Financial awareness, strong analytical and organisational skills.
- Evidence of previous experience in a partnership working environment and project management.
- Good communication skills at all levels, including IT literacy, networking, formal presentations and report writing.
- A knowledge of local authority culture and the local licensing framework.
- Requirements of the Role
The post holder should ideally be educated to Degree level and/or have relevant experience.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
- Applications by way of a CV and short covering letter to Ms Viki Menzies, Office Manager, Aberdeen Inspired, 32 Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen, AB10 1BA. Deadline for submitting an application is 5.00 pm on Friday 7th April 2017.